Saturday, January 23, 2016

Let Me Tell You How I Really Feel

AMAZING!  Seriously! Those of you who keep up with me on Facebook know that I decided to become a Beachbody Coach a little over a month ago.  THIS is why I feel amazing!  

Let me explain... when I first started this journey it was about me.  I signed up to be a part of a challenge group.  I wanted and needed to change up my workout regimen.  After seeing the results, I was kind of hooked!  But real talk, it is about so much more now.

I think there are 2 reasons why I have always been into working out.  One, I was always a competitive athlete.  I played several sports and by the time I got to high school was playing volleyball year round.  This also led to my addiction to running.  
The second reason isn't as pretty.  When I was in elementary school, I was a tad overweight.  Ok, maybe more than a tad.  I can still fit into my 4th grade cheerleading uniform and I have grown about 8 inches at least.  Have I mentioned that I am 39?  And that I can fit into my 4th grade cheer uniform?!  What?!?!    

People always say to me that they don't believe that I was ever overweight.  Unfortunately, there are some scary pictures that prove it but refuse to share more because of the awful 80's girl mullet that I was rockin' on top of my stocky self.  I'm sure you can picture it just fine.

This second reason is also one of the reasons I wanted to be a coach when I began my teaching career.  I felt like I could relate to almost all the girls whether it be because of weight or just self confidence.  You see, I really didn't get self confidence until oh, about 3 months ago.  Although I had plenty of friends and even boyfriends (whatever that meant in elementary school), I still had boys make fun of me for my weight.  That is something that doesn't just go away.  Even after I had decided that I was going to change my eating and go on a diet before entering junior high, the damage had been done.  Because of those comments, I've constantly struggled with self confidence.  
The world can be a very cruel place but, what I've learned most in these past few months, is how beautiful it can be as well.

I've always appreciated the beauty of nature and God's creations.  Unfortunately, that didn't seem to roll over into my own self worth.  As I watched my body change doing the 21 day fix extreme, I found some amazing women along the way.  Between the changes that my body has made both internally and externally (seriously, I have more muscle tone now than I did when I was super skinny in high school!), I have found some of that self confidence that I was lacking.  I've heard every excuse in the book as to why people won't make changes in their eating or workout habits, even before becoming a Beachbody coach.  I myself, was guilty of these at times.  But, how I feel now makes me throw every one of those excuses out the door!  
I'm sure people get annoyed with all my FB posts about what all I am doing but here's the thing, I can't help but share how I feel because I want others to have the same opportunity!   I have tried really hard to be more purposeful and active in my scripture reading as well.  It's crazy to me how much more meaningful it has become to me now that I have this renewed self confidence.  I'm not saying I don't or won't ever struggle.  That's not realistic.  But, I can't deny that these few changes I have made, have made me a better mom, wife, and definitely more loving of myself.   You deserve it too!

Traci Eller Mabry is a teacher and fitness coach. She lives in Montgomery, Texas with her husband and two daughters. You can find out more about Traci at https://www.facebook.com/coachtmabry/

Let Me Tell You How I Really Feel was originally published at http://traci-alittlebitofnothing.weebly.com/blog/so-let-me-tell-you-how-i-really-feel on July 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment